Sunday

Tesseract (2026)


Cover & Book design: Scarlett Robinson-Kean


(June 7) Tesseract. Illustrated by Scarlett Robinson-Kean. ISBN 978-0-473-78266-5. Auckland: Paper Table, 2026. 110 pp.



“What's a tesseract?”
“Didn't you go to school? A tesseract is a hypercube, a square figure with four dimensions to it, like a cube has three, and a square has two. Here, I'll show you …”


– Robert Heinlein, “– And he Built a Crooked House –.” Astounding Science Fiction (1941)



  1. No time but the present (24/5-7/10/22)

  2. Mutual Forgiveness (12/11/22-27/5/23)
  3. Soft (22/9/22-5/7/23)
  4. The key (3/12/22-27/5/23)
  5. My partner (10/9/22-14/3/24)
  6. Pick-ups (19/10/22-23/2/24)
  7. The cat’s ritual (5/11/22-9/5/23)
  8. The Ballad of the Great Storm (23/11/22-5/7/23)
  9. Heavy Rescue 401 (5/12/22-8/3/24)
  10. Our backyard (13/9/22-3/2/24)
  11. Big pink (26/10/22-11/7/2023)
  12. Rain (30/10/22-27/2/24)
  13. The Great Impostor (26/9/22-13/2/24)
  14. Under the knife (10/11/22-3/3/24)
  15. An evening’s viewing (28/11/22-6/3/24)
  16. Power cut (27/11/22-27/5/23)
  17. It was so and not so (19/6/24)
  18. Spartacus (19/9/22-2/5/23)

  19. Chocolate Weetbix (6-7/4/22)

  20. Nice (20/9/22-7/2/24)
  21. So does this mean World War III? (18/11/22-11/7/2023)
  22. Insignificance (30/9/22-15/2/24)
  23. When people are anxious (14/11/22-11/7/2023)
  24. Gallowglass (6/9/22-28/1/24)
  25. India twenty years ago (29/9/22-14/2/24)
  26. The Sixties (23/10/22-24/2/24)
  27. Get out of the way! (29/10/22-26/2/24)
  28. Wolf (21/9/22-5/7/23)
  29. Strangers on a train (12/10/22-20/2/24)
  30. From Russia with Love (18/10/22-22/2/24)
  31. The Basketballathon (20/2/22-15/10/23)
  32. Towards the end (24/10/22-25/2/24)
  33. I miss it sometimes (15/11/22-11/7/2023)
  34. The inverse ninja law (17/11/22-11/7/2023)
  35. Bronwyn (8/12/22-5/7/23)
  36. My mother’s rose bushes (18/9/22-2/4/23)

  37. Time in Poetry (27-28/4/22)

  38. Zealandia (11/9/22-2/2/24)
  39. Scurvy Grass (6/2-22/7/21)
  40. Coming in from the cold (25/10/22-11/7/2023)
  41. All that you love will be carried away (17/9/22-7/2/24)
  42. Rear Window (8/10/22-17/2/24)
  43. Kimono (1/10/22-15/2/24)
  44. Is time travel possible? (25/9/22-12/2/24)
  45. Pizzagate (14/10/22-20/2/24)
  46. Coming Forth by Day (15/10/22-21/2/24)
  47. Déjà vu all over again (3/11/22-28/2/24)
  48. In my dream last night (21/10/22-5/7/23)
  49. The House on the Strand (3/10/22-16/2/24)
  50. Weather (17/10/22-22/2/24)
  51. Living history (4/12/22-8/3/24)
  52. Prisoners of K. Rd. (14/9/22-3/2/24)
  53. Last days (20/11/22-4/3/24)
  54. Catullus 101 (12/9/22-28/5/23)

  55. No wars but in words (24-25/5/22)

  56. Why do you write? (2/11/22-28/2/24)
  57. Gaslighting (29/11/22-5/7/23)
  58. Crash (26/11/22-5/3/24)
  59. You need to get a job (28/10/22-26/2/24)
  60. The Bard (22/10/22-24/2/24)
  61. The usual suspects (5/10/22-16/2/24)
  62. I used to quote (16/11/22-11/7/2023)
  63. Not everything is an anecdote (20/10/22-23/2/24)
  64. Mnemonics (31/10/22-8/5/23)
  65. Houseboat Days (22/11/22-12/7/2023)
  66. Emotionally labile (13/10/22-4/1/23)
  67. The Killing Floor (7/12/22-5/7/23)
  68. Experimental (9/12/22-8/2/24)
  69. Frack away (4/11/22-29/2/24)
  70. Bronwyn asked me (25/11/22-5/7/23)
  71. Catfish or cats? (6/12/22-27/5/23)
  72. Just Like the Others (27-28/10/20)




For Bronwyn





Jack Ross: Tesseract (2026)


Blurb:
Each of us is made up of stories – family stories, work stories, relationship stories – even stories about trying to buy a revolving bookcase in Paeroa … Stories, too, about the country and the world we live in.

If you put them all together, the lines begin to connect up into the shape of a life: not a simple geometric figure, but the outline of a particular location in spacetime – a line, then a square, then a cube, then finally a four-dimensional hypercube, a tesseract.

An earlier version of this, Jack Ross’s latest poetry collection, was longlisted for the Kathleen Grattan award in 2025. He’s happy to present it here with a book design and lively illustrations by 2025 Arts Foundation Te Tumu Toi Springboard recipient, Scarlett Robinson-Kean.
'… What makes this book resonate so deeply with me is movement. Physical and emotional movement. Not on a grand over-the-top flare of sentimentality but in small measured steps that favour contiguity. I relish the shift between what is easily witnessed in the everyday and what is much harder to fathom, what is retrieved in glimmers and shards across time. it is a collection that warrants a prolonged sojourn. Glorious.'
- Paula Green on Jack’s The Oceanic Feeling (2021)











No time but the present. That’s not quite it, 
is it? No time like the present is the usual 
phrase. Do it now, in other words – don’t put it off. 
But, as H. G. Wells’s Time Traveller explains so clearly 
in the story, there’s no such thing as an instantaneous 
object: it must have duration, as well as height, length 
and breadth, in order to be perceived (let alone 
possessed) by us. Now is a moment which is over 
so quickly that it’s only perceptible in the rearview 
mirror, as a part of the long spool of experience 
unwinding behind us. So all we really have is the past 
– that is to say, the memory of what is already done 
and dusted. But do we have that, even? It’s no longer 
with us, so I’d have to say no – all we have, then, 
is that quavering moment, poised on top of the wave. 
But since we can’t perceive it till it’s over, you 
could argue that all we have is anticipation: the 
prospect of what the next moment will bring. You’d 
think that might make us a bit less greedy: less 
determined to collect the leavings of all these 
moments, past and to come, and more prepared to 
enjoy them to the uttermost. We’re only conscious 
for a small part of the time allotted to us: there’ll 
never be any more of it, so let’s dance. 


(24/5-7/10/22)

Publications:







             of each vice
    These are the gates of paradise 
        – William Blake


If we had a bigger landing
we could display Steven’s coat
on the stairs

yesterday four packages arrived
from Wellington
the cream

of Bronwyn’s 
She Shed
textile show

at the Petone Settlers’ Museum
rugs    blankets    dolls
and now the house

is full of bubble-wrap
and boxes
and a desperate quest

to find some space
to set up
the Kiwi equivalent

of Antony Gormley’s
Angel of the North
it’d seem a bit crazier

if it weren’t for the fact
that I spent all yesterday 
reconfiguring

my Children’s Books 
bookcase
in double rows

too many pretty things
in the world
too little restraint 

on our part
the cat
sits by and purrs


(12/11/22-27/5/23)

Notes:
"She Shed: Contemporary Wool Craft is a capsule exhibition assembled by Blumhardt curator Dr Bronwyn Lloyd - writer, crafter, and textile collector. She Shed is Lloyd’s dream space of wool craft, featuring the work of seven contemporary makers she most admires: Vita Cochran, Lizzy Leckie, Caroline McQuarrie, Rona Ngahuia Osborne, Steven Park, Daegan Wells, and Georgina May Young, at the Petone Settlers Museum.

This exhibition is presented in conjunction with Threads: Textiles Festival, Te Whanganui-a-Tara Wellington from 16-20 March 2022."





We’re always on the lookout
for book-troughs and bookends
for my growing collection

this time it was 
a revolving bookcase
one metre high

70 centimetres in diameter 
I know because the shopkeeper
 made me measure it

with her own tape-measure
in the middle
she prompted 

not the side
this was to see if it’d fit into the car
the consensus was it wouldn’t

I wasn’t quite so sure
it didn’t
after that she got the owner on the phone

Are you going up to Auckland 
anytime soon?
Yes    he’s already bought it

I hadn’t    but I wanted to
so he needs to have it delivered
we settled on next Sunday

they think you’re soft
confided Bronwyn as we drove away 
– what do you mean?

the way she told you tilt it this way
not that way
as we tried to wrestle it in

the fact she didn’t think
you could back into that parking space
outside the shop

come to think of it
I did notice a bit of an village-idiot vibe
in the way they spoke to me

am I soft?
If so it doesn’t worry me
more interested in dreaming of all the books 

I can squeeze into those shelves


(22/9/22-5/7/23)

Publications:







Bronwyn has a habit
of walking out of the house
leaving the front door open

when she thinks she’ll be right back
in practice    of course
she gets distracted

till after a while I notice the draft
and go over and close it
which means that eventually 

she’ll be pounding on the door
to be let back in
as she never carries a key

it puts me in mind
of the Michael Moore documentary
where he tested out his theory

that Canadians don’t lock their doors
by walking straight into 
a stranger’s front room

sure enough    it wasn’t locked
and the people inside
though somewhat bemused

seem friendly enough
to the shabby shyster
the cat too

like other cats
meows to go out
then meows to come in

then changes her mind 
and wants out again
seriously though

do we live in a world
where doors can be left open?
I wish we did


(3/12/22-27/5/23)

Notes:
  • The reference is to a sequence near the end of Michael Moore's 2002 documentary Bowling for Columbine where he claims Canada is so safe that nobody bothers to lock their doors.







is a tohunga
she told us
tohunga are the kind of people
you see on K Rd 
talking to themselves

they tell the tales of objects
the partner was in the supermarket
when she saw an iceberg lettuce
that wanted to be hers
she bought it and started to eat it

as she walked down the street
but wouldn’t you know it?
people who saw her 
started to offer her things
a builder said he had some sesame seeds

she could scatter on it
another offered tomatoes
another a slice of bread
just like stone soup
you start off with a stone and water

then add the rest
as the Queen said after 9-11
grief is the price we pay for love
helping each other out
is what we do


(10/9/22-14/7/23)






Every Sunday
and every second Wednesday

my mother is picked up
by a friend from church

the friend said she was looking shabby
so we bought her new clothes

the friend wants her standing outside
by a certain time

so Bronwyn goes over to dress her
and send her down the drive

the friend would like money for petrol
so we’ve added discreet envelopes

but my mum looks so happy
as she drives off in the car

now the friend would like her to sing solo
in the end-of-the-year church concert 

my mother can’t sing
and is intensely shy

where does helpfulness end
and oppression begin?

when your own strongly-held views
seem always to accord

with the voice of the Lord?


(19/10/22-23/2/24)






has flexibilities within it
for instance
having got us up at 6 am

she’s then prepared to bed down
in the warm spot
but only for a while

after a snack and possibly
a trip outside
she sits on the stairs and waits

not silently
for me to make my way up
to the office

on gloomy days 
she beds down 
in the chair behind my desk

on sunny days
she marches down the hall
pausing to rub certain iconic books

with interesting corners
and jumps up
on the guest room bed

by then striped by
a sunbeam
she may stay there till early afternoon

or conversely
come down for morning tea
it’s hard to say

if she sees us as her kittens
or her parents
certainly our lack of cool

embarrasses her profoundly
on occasion
both    I think


(5/11/22-9/5/23)






Despite the extreme weather events
forecast over the last few days
the roofing contractors

at the supermarket next door
neglected to tie down
their sheet metal

so as the wind rose
in febrile gusts
it began to roll up

and slam against the scaffolding
until we began to fear
for the lives

of those in the carpark
not to mention 
of course

our own windows
Bronwyn went over
to talk to the manager

who shrugged and said 
he’d give the contractors
a ring to see if 

they had anyone willing 
to go up on the roof
in a storm

somehow 
this didn’t reassure us
so I got onto the online help desk

and asked the bot
what to do next
it suggested I collect 

more plastic farm pieces
which I felt was a little irrelevant
so when it offered to pass me

to an actual human being
I gladly agreed
and started a dialogue

with a certain Jenny
who got my name
phone number

address 
and sundry other details
before passing it on

to the relevant authorities
a couple of hours later
we saw a rather disgruntled man

wandering around their rooftop 
with a length of blue tape
he seems to have flattened

the sheets out again
said Bronwyn
our last sight of him

was gesticulating and yelling on the phone
but what he was actually saying
we could not hear


(23/11/22-5/7/23)






My latest reality pash
is filmed on ‘the busiest highway
in North America’

outside Toronto
snaking through the Great Lakes
the stoic Canadians

who staff the nation’s highways
are very family-oriented
it’s hard to count

the father-and-son teams
setting up their rotators and flatbeds
beside each crash

trucks on their backs
on their sides 
in snow drifts

snared in forest glades
with cargos of copper wire
rolls of paper    frozen yeast    

even once
compacted garbage
there’s something about it 

the sense of camaraderie
a common purpose 
which makes them dangle 

above Lake Erie
to haul out a crane
I see myself there

a mere foot-soldier
not yet in the business
of calculating vectors

walking with a line
over my shoulder
walking from the shoulder of the road

into the trees


(5/12/22-8/3/24)

Publications:
  • Titirangi Poets Ezine No.29 (16 October 2024).







across the creek
could certainly be said
to be somewhat overgrown

my father liked to think of it 
as the last enclave
of native bush

in bourgeois Mairangi Bay
the birds certainly approve
tūī    kōtare    kererū

but crossing the concrete bridge 
this morning
I saw another tree had fallen

in last week’s storms
blocking the path to
the fallen wattle

which marks the boundary
between us and next door
crashing through the vines

I thought a machete 
might be needed in future
far off I saw my goal

our last big tree
a dead dry pine 
shrouded in old man’s beard

it seemed unreachable
the only way there
by vaulting over 

slippery snaking boughs
like the impenetrable jungles
that hid Mayan cities

for a thousand years


(13/9/22-3/2/24)






The lawnmower man
came round yesterday
to check the ground for bolts

left over from the scaffolding
ran into one the other day
cost me 11,000 dollars

very bold
he said of the colour
whose idea was that?

mine said Bronwyn
which isn’t entirely true
it was a mutual decision

based on my hatred for ochre
and the obvious need 
for an Art Deco colour

I’m from Napier she went on
and this is what
houses there look like

he wasn’t convinced
sooner you than me
he muttered

John the painter said
it’s a homosexual colour
Bronwyn

but hey
whatever floats your boat
every day passers-by

stop to gawp
at an Auckland house
which isn’t white or mauve

it radiates at night
you can see it in the dark
at dawn it looks like Petra

rose-red city half as old as time
we like to call it coral
it is a lot of look


(26/10/22-11/7/2023)






offers the biggest test 
    so far
        of the new order

is the garage leaking
    despite its new roof?
        alas    yes

has the new front garden
    washed down the drain?
        no

those heavy beach stones
    we gathered down the coast
        for an art workshop

have done their job
    the bark’s still there
        is the creek flowing

despite its overgrown banks
    the tangle of trash
        around the culverts?

I haven’t dared check
    is the rusty old water tank 
        we bought in ‘98
    
during the drought
    overflowing
        into the basement 

yet?
    not sure    I’ll drain it 
        in due course
    
are the sea levels rising
    down by the beach?
        of course

this house was built
    on a tidal creek
        so it is a bit hopeless
        
futile as King Canute


(30/10/22-27/2/24)






So when I asked the roofing man
Karl    a wiry little Australian

what to do about the TV aerial
he looked at me as if I was mad

oh sure
we can take that down for you

but what I wanted to ask was
do we need it to get TV?

I had a vague idea
It all comes through the internet now

being digital
so agreed in what I hoped

was a knowing way
no TV today

apparently you do need an aerial
to get your free-to-air TV

that aerial is lying in a tangled heap
on the lawn

because I was too scared
to reveal my ignorance

and wanted to look like a normal
human who knows such things

I do seem to have managed to reach
most of the programmes we watch

through the online streaming services
of the various channels

so all is well
but when will I learn to stop 

trying to act like a solid citizen
and admit to being a timorous

ignorant clod?


(26/9/22-13/2/24)






This morning I go 
under the knife

to excise a boil
that’s been itchy and sore

on the back of my leg
for quite a while

but is it malignant?
my GP Francesco

who claims to be an authority
on such matters

has pooh-poohed 
such fears of mine 

previously
this time though

he's persuaded me
to let him remove it

for testing
even though he’s ‘almost sure’

it’s benign
it reminds me a bit

of that H. G. Wells story
where the scalpel slips

and the patient shoots off 
into interstellar space

faster and faster
till the universe starts

to coalesce
into the gleam 

of a great jewel
on an infinitely large hand

always liked that one
but would prefer not 

to reenact it


(10/11/22-3/3/24)






Serial killers
family dysfunction

haunted pasts
it’s as if the whole world 

– or the section of it
that watches television –

is caught in a nightmare
from which it cannot awake

but is it all bad?
the mummy

of a lion cub
unearthed in Saqqara

by adept archaeologists
not led by some white saviour

from the well-funded west
the under-dog digger

who unearthed the ship
at Sutton Hoo

a few small acts of kindness
Wednesday Addams befriending

a bespectacled nerd
a hand reaching out

to help you stand up


(28/11/22-6/3/24)






I guess I would give us about a B+
for our prowess yesterday
when the power went off

halfway through CSI
just as we were about to learn
the identity

of the strangely branded slave
who’d been injected
with somebody else’s eyeball

we do have a cupboard
for candles
with lots of matches

so that was no problem
we improvised
some Victorian home entertainment

I read out a ghost story
and an old poem
from the Ingoldsby Legends

by now it was pitch dark
and we could see all the neighbours
prowling around

trying hard not to look afraid
that things would never go back 
to normal

we didn’t join them
but went off to bed
instead

the cat accepted the situation
with her usual calm
to be honest   

I’m not really sure she noticed
till the power came back
to the accompaniment of loud cheers

and crashing machinery
the moment we’d settled
and taken out our books


(27/11/22-27/5/23)






for Richard von Sturmer


As we approached the square 
I said to Bronwyn 

I bet we’ll see Farrell there
he always comes to these sorts of things

sure enough there he was
I didn't go over to say hello

we had a nice spot in the shade
and he looked okay with his friends

it took a long time to get going
there were lots of speeches

they ranged from impassioned 
to business-like

they taught us some chants
which I promptly forgot 

but once we started
they mostly came back

we felt very virtuous walking along
some ladies with parcels 

came out of a dress-shop
we shouted

WHILE YOU'RE SHOPPING
BOMBS ARE DROPPING

but they didn't look too 
abashed

it was hard to keep pace 
with the people in front

I'd bought a big flag
and it flapped in the faces 

of the people behind 
unless I held it high

which I found very tiring
Bronwyn wore her flag 

draped round her shoulders
which was handy when it came on to rain

the loudspeakers were a trial
a chant would start up next to my head

which is bad for my hearing aids
they can't handle quick changes 

in ambient noise
we had to stop every time 

we came to an intersection
which caused the procession 

to contract like a snake
most of the chants I agreed with 

but not all of them
I went silent for those

eventually we decided to go home 
when we reached downtown

and a new set of speeches began 
the buses weren't running 

because of the demonstration
so we had to walk quite a way 

it was coming down pretty hard by then
but such a relief 

to run in the rain 


(19/6/24)

Publications:







‘I’m Spartacus!’ 
– Dalton Trumbo


I guess that’s what this is about
facing your fears on paper

if you can’t admit them there
then where?

Spartacus the cat
took his last trip to the vet

yesterday
what words can you find for that?

he was 19
but he hung on till his folks went away

then even with three aunties there
sank into a decline

last night I came into the bedroom
Bronwyn was packing

Are you leaving me?
I’ve had enough of your shit

she said
then seeing my face

No of course not
just packing away some jewellery

she gave me a hug
it’s us for life

but the fears are always there
somehow

just under the surface
saying them

can help send them away


(19/9/22-2/5/23)



_______





When we were kids, we had a bad habit of leaving the last 
couple of inches of cereal in the Weetbix package uneaten. 
No amount of persuasion would convince us that this 
unwholesome looking mess was as good as the perfectly 
formed biscuits we’d started off with. That is, until 
my father came up with the term chocolate weetbix. 
All of a sudden, we were competing to have a bowl of 
chocolate weetbix scraps rather than those boringly 
predictable rectangles. I’m still not sure why those 
two words made such a great difference to us – the 
mystique of chocolate transforms all it touches, I 
suppose. But it was more than that. It was my first 
experience, not so much of the power of advertising, 
as of the inherent magic of putting the right words 
in the right place. My father was a clever and eloquent 
man, but even he must have felt some slight disquiet at 
manipulating us with such ease. Since then, as a writer 
and a teacher, I’ve become increasingly aware of the 
extent to which one can transform other people’s 
experience of the world simply by describing it in a 
particular way. It’s a fearsome responsibility, and not 
to be taken lightly. This year, as so many of our 
assumptions about the society we live in crumble around 
us, I’m more conscious than ever of the power of poetry 
– ‘language charged with meaning to the utmost possible 
degree’ – and its ability to affect reality. We can, 
quite literally, change lives with our words: but what 
is it, exactly, we want to say?


(6-7/4/22)

Publications:







She was still crying when I walked into
the Tourist Information office

on the Square in Christchurch
what’s wrong? I asked 

– that man who was in here before
he came in and I asked if I could help

he didn’t answer
just waited for my European colleague

to be freewe’re not all like that

was all I could find to say
to the young Asian woman

another colleague hurried in
what’s wrong?

she outlined again what had happened
as the colleague fixed on me

a nuclear stare
not him    he’s nice

no another man    he’s gone
I didn’t know what else to say or do

just repeated 
we’re not all like that 


(20/9/22-8/2/24)

Publications:
  • Poetry Aotearoa Yearbook 2024: Revelations [Issue #58]. Ed. Tracey Slaughter. ISBN 978-1-99-101670-6. Auckland: Massey University Press, 2024: 119-20.


Publications:







asked Bronwyn
as the news came in
that a Russian missile

had fallen on Poland
and killed two people
thankfully    no

but the need to deny it
took me back
half a century

to the school library committee
of which I was head
where the hottest topic

was whether anything
except nuclear disarmament
was worth discussing

given the imminent
probability of ending up
as radioactive dust

but then in the 80s
the discourse moved on
somehow

not that anything was resolved
but we all just tacitly agreed
not to bring it up

till the fall of the Berlin wall
Ceaușescu and wife slumped in a heap 
in their back garden

the tanks in Prague stopped with flowers
the tanks in Moscow halted by an alcoholic
with attitude

was it all for nothing?
Sadly it seems so
yes    

but then 
as Homer Simpson remarked
at the end of a worse than usual set of disasters

Marge my friend    I haven’t learned a thing


(18/11/22-11/7/2023)

Publications:
  • Titirangi Poets Ezine No.24 (11 December 2023).
  • Heaven’s Fringe II: Titirangi Poets. Ed. Piers Davies, Ron Riddell, & Gretchen Carroll. Auckland: Printable Reality, 2024. 175.







The first time I really felt it
was one afternoon
in England

in the train
looking out the window
at the chimneys

of the nuclear power station
that sense of being dwarfed
of nothingness

we’d been brought up on a diet
of ‘every little bit helps’
and ‘one person can make a difference’

and all that
but something about 
those huge blank curves

against the landscape
gave it the lie
so now

crouching beside the television
as it bleats
about the latest Russian plans

for Ukraine
500-year floods in Florida 
(yeah right)

I feel it again
good-will    determination
anything you like

but sometimes
in the path of the glacier
all you can do is run


(30/9/22-15/2/24)






you shouldn’t do something
they’re not always wrong
my mother’s driving

for example
the last straw for her
was not knocking off

someone else’s side mirror
driving up our own street
nor the fact that 

not only did she not stop
and go back
nowhere to park she claimed

no    what did it
was turning out of the garage
where they’d patched up her car

and realising she didn’t
know which way to go next
just how do you find home?

I suppose she would have braked
if you hadn’t shouted stop
mused one of my brothers 

to the other
when they returned
from a last-minute Christmas shopping run

maybe 
the other opined
last night in my dream

they were both insisting 
that I let her drive
as we lurched round the streets

in an automotive death roll


(14/11/22-11/7/23)






My father’s guest 
brought his son along

a boy of about my age
maybe seven or eight?

we ran around the yard
for an hour or two

A week or so later 
a knock at the door

he was back
and wanted to play again

I didn’t want to
It was late

dinner was over
I finally went to the door

at my parents’ urging
and told him to go away

he wouldn’t
he stormed and raged

I could see how much 
he’d looked forward 

to visiting his new friend
I had nothing to say

knew what I’d done was horrible
but there was no other way

I couldn’t face running around in the dark 
with this boy I scarcely knew

the pain of such scenes
when you see someone 

you’ve met once or twice
but have nothing to say to them

if you save some one’s life
you’re responsible for them

if you speak to them 
you’re linked forever

what does Frankenstein’s monster say?
friend good    we belong

dead


(6/9/22-28/1/24)

Notes:
  • The quote "friend good ..." comes from James Whale's Bride of Frankenstein (1935) rather than Mary Shelley's novel.







Our common bond
was P. G. Wodehouse

I know how that must sound
to the class-conscious

but Wodehouse’s
idle hands and aristos

seem more like fictional
conceits than actual people

when you grow up
in the Antipodes

Meera
my superlatively kind

hostess in Bangalore
had an abiding love

for Wodehouse
and wasn’t at all surprised to hear 

I’d found cheap reprints
of some of his almost unobtainable 

pre-Jeeves    pre-Emsworth
school novels

in Cape Comorin
at the tip of India

I remember once 
when she went out

she left me sitting
in front of the video

with instructions to rewatch
An Ideal Husband

it is not the perfect
but rather the imperfect 

who have need of love
as Rupert Everett

expressed it
an uncanonical addition

to Oscar’s text


(29/9/22-14/2/24)






My brother sent me a card
for my upcoming sixtieth birthday
it’s printed with ‘Jack’ 

which led me to imagine
a cavernous warehouse of cards
each with a different name

matched to a particular year
in this case    
1962

the number of things 
that were happening then
is astonishing

the Cuban missile crisis
Lawrence of Arabia
Marilyn Monroe’s

overdose
Solzhenitsyn’s
Ivan Denisovich

but for me
the strangest thing of all
is that my sublit vision

of the sixties
remains intact
I remember watching 

the Vietnam war
on our black-and-white TV 
walking barefoot

everywhere
to the dairy 
on the corner

long days on the beach
and it doesn’t look 
sepia in my head

not distant by a heartbeat
but tangible    
concrete    

there


(23/10/22-24/2/24)






he shouted
    at the little girl
        prattling artlessly

as was her wont
    accustomed to obedience
        she jumped

as he brought his spade down
    on a snake
        Sydney    1930s

one of my mother’s stories
    that comes up
        repeatedly

two or three times in a row
    sometimes
        why?

she certainly loved her father
    treasures his views
        on pretty much everything

food    no sauces
    flowers    only roses
        about her mother

she’s more equivocal
    she often intones
        something told her

by one of her aunts
    you never knew your mother
        a serious illness

maybe a miscarriage?
    in Fiji
        robbed her 

of much of her past
    strangely enough
        she sees her mother’s memory loss

as far worse than her own
    even though 
        she can’t answer direct questions

it puts it right out of my head!
    or remember an outing
        half an hour later

her mother stands in
    for all that’s lost
        a set of vague traumas

we’re glad she’s forgotten
    the car accident
        where one of them died


(29/10/22-26/2/24)






The game was to race 
around the bach

at Bethells Beach
but first we had to claim

a totem animal 
I can’t recall why

wolf said my brother
faster than light

so some of us others
who’d been thinking

wolf as well
were shit out of luck

I think that I may have
compromised on tiger

I am after all a Scorpio Tiger
something feline anyway 

then he wanted to pace out 
the whole course first

somewhat un-wolf-like
some of us thought

and had to be told
that that would defeat 

the purpose of the game
but what if I slipped and fell?

what if?
I think Bronwyn’s brother won


(21/9/22-5/7/23)






I remember one Christmas
in Britain
travelling down to Essex

to see my brother
working in in the hospital there
then back up to Scotland

for New Year
most of all I remember
standing in that long queue

snaking right round the platform
at King’s Cross
as the announcement boomed out

if you haven’t reserved a seat
then please leave the line
this train is fully booked

but I had nowhere else to go
no money    no friends in London
so kept on standing there

then climbed on the train 
and wandered up and down it
clocking all of the seats 

in every carriage
marked with little cardboard slips
until I found one that wasn’t

I sat down in it
the lady sitting next to me
said that the person who’d booked the seat

was probably joining the train later on
but I was welcome to sit there 
for the time being

until they gazumped me
the train left
we rolled through the endless back gardens

and kitchen windows of London
then out into the long green tunnels
of sidings

station after station
we got into conversation
she and I

she worked as an entertainer
on cruise ships
singing covers and some of her own songs

she lent me a cassette of her music
to play on my Walkman
easy-listening stuff

I praised it
I lent her my own cassette
of (I imagine) U2

no-one got on
no-one displaced me
by some strange miracle

I managed to stay in that seat 
all the way to Inverness
much to the disbelief of my cousins

and everyone who’s heard the story since
and the moral?
sometimes 

when you really need them to
things don’t go wrong
but then    on the other hand

quite often they do


(12/10/22-20/2/24)






Our Russian class 
went on a school trip 
to visit a Soviet ship
in the harbour

the sailors tried to show us around
but we stood there dumb
till I ventured a few phrases 
in Russian

the captain was much impressed
and told me I should come
to study in the worker’s republic
I lacked the aplomb

to answer in kind
a year or so later we hosted a visit
from the Russian ambassador
who offered to answer our questions

about the Soviet Union
I asked about the case of the poet
Boris Pasternak
he replied that the reason

only some of his work 
was available there
was because his later writings
lacked objectivity

Solzhenitsyn
by contrast
an enemy of the people
had been justly deported

all this was recited 
with a stone-cold glare
our teacher congratulated me later
on asking the hard questions

in this case the hard questions were the easy ones


(18/10/22-22/2/24)






Our Rm 13 form teacher 
asked us to find ways 
to raise money 

for the earthquake victims
in Guatemala
we brainstormed ideas

the one we liked most 
was a non-stop
game of basketball

in those days the Telethon
was a national obsession 
– or an excuse for old has-beens 

to crank out their schtick? –
our teacher too
was sceptical 

about the sheer pointlessness
of the idea
but majority rules

and so it was settled
we would play in relays
one four-hour stint 

followed by four hours of rest
then back on the court
for two full days

it started on Friday 
and ran till Sunday 
– Heaven forbid

we should miss any school!
we lined up our sponsors
and so it began

it was pretty difficult
to get any sleep
a few of us gave up

and straggled off home
I missed just one stint
but they held it against me

ever after
you wimped out
loser

I can see their point


(20/2/22-15/10/23)






my father’s only tales
were of old humiliations
the time they asked him to give a talk

on some medical subject 
at the hospital where he worked
he offered an eye-witness account 

of the leper island    Molokaʻi
which he’d explored
and photographed extensively

that’s of no interest whatsoever
not at all what we’re looking for
said the officious organiser

or the time he was asked to describe
the WWII defence works 
of the East Coast Bays

to a local history group
he’d been charting them
for decades

having watched them built
in the first place
as a boy on Deep Creek Road

the moment he started to speak
a man walked in
and started to greet everyone

and after he’d finished with that
asked what was the talk this week?
Doctor Ross was just about to begin

Oh I don’t have time to stay
he said    making
an equally loquacious exit

my father had hardly got going
when the chair stood up and said
that was all they had time for that week

but it’d been a real treat
and they hoped to have him back again
my father bit back the retort

not this side of hell
these things went around in his head
in those last days

no happy memories
of the love and respect of his patients
who still tell us stories about him

as they pass by the front fence
but    as Julia Roberts puts it
in Pretty Woman

the bad stuff is easier to believe


(24/10/22-25/2/24)






sailing under the bridge
In our little kestrel
trailer sailor

on our way down-harbour
to anchor off Chelsea
go in for a swim

eat our lunch on the deck
then the long beat home
tacking across to the wharves

down into Ngataringa Bay
to pick up the mooring
sometimes 

it got quite rough
I remember once
we ended up missing the buoy

and smashed instead
into the sea wall
my father leapt overboard

to hold the boat off 
the jagged teeth of the planks
while the rest of us cowered

like deck cargo
unable to help
years later my cousin

bought just the same boat
and invited me for a sail
we headed for Rangitoto

on the way we slipped a stay
and I’ll always remember hanging over the side
trying to rethread the bolt

as we headed for the rocks
under North Head
I felt as calm as a cucumber

my marriage had recently broken up
leaving me walking wounded
a watery grave

seemed the least of my concerns


(15/11/22-11/7/2023)






the fewer there are
the greater their effectiveness

I was walking down the drive
outside our house

when I saw a woman
lying on her back

on the asphalt
I walked up to her

Are you all right?
I guessed she must have fallen

from her parked car above
on the level of the road

I’m fine she said
I just can’t seem to get up

Shall I get a doctor?
I asked

No I’m fine
I just need to rest for a while

all my life I’d been hearing
not to move accident victims

she said she was not in pain
and I don’t carry a phone

so I went into the house
to fetch my father

a retired GP
he got his bag

by now a little group had gathered
a loud decisive man

was giving orders
ringing an ambulance

she was moaning in pain
no-one paid the slightest attention 

to my dad
as he asked her the usual questions

where’s the pain?
can you feel your legs?

the man with the phone
was the man in charge

I saw for the first time
that my father had shrunk

into an old man
afterwards he went on about how wisely

the loud man had reacted
but I knew what he meant

how shamed he felt


(17/11/22-11/7/2023)






has to go and have tea
with someone she knew at school

she doesn’t want to 
they don’t have much in common

don’t move in the same circles
then or now

and there’s no earthly reason why
this woman keeps ringing her up 

to invite herself to lunch
except that she nourishes

a fantasy of school
as the best time of her life

has written herself
a retrospective dazzling past

and Bronwyn is part of that
Just tell her that something’s come up

I say
as I’ve often said before

say you’re going to be busy for the next couple of weeks
leading up to Christmas

I can’t
she says

it’d be like kicking a puppy
I can’t cause anyone pain

she blames it on being brought up
a good Catholic girl

Our Lady is always watching
I keep ranting on

ignoring the fact that I too
have old school chums

I need to keep seeing
and the few that I’ve actually dumped

come thronging back to haunt me
in the long watches of the night

above all though
I thank whatever gods may be

that someone indoctrinated Bronwyn
with this particular dogma

which leads her to forgive
my own transgressions

again and again 
world without end 

amen


(8/12/22-5/7/23)






Pruning them back was just the start
soil had to be dug out
on every side

spades placed like levers
under the thorns
leaned on 

like Archimedes
time and again
till with a mandrake groan

they gave up the ghost
we hustled them onto the lawn
but I got scared

that they’d somehow 
re-root themselves
so shifted them

onto the concrete floor
one looked like a lung
with arteries attached

another like a beating heart
all night I could hear
them scratching 

on the windows
longing to get in 
resume their reign

punish the usurpers
the scaffolders will be here
on Wednesday next

and after that other plants
less inimical ones?
will take their place

after the last pit was emptied 
Zero the cat
pissed and shat 

in the empty hole
as if to confirm 
our victory


(18/9/22-2/4/23)

Publications:
  • Poetry Aotearoa Yearbook 2024: Revelations [Issue #58]. Ed. Tracey Slaughter. ISBN 978-1-99-101670-6. Auckland: Massey University Press, 2024: 119-20.









I have to be on time for everything. If I’m 
invited anywhere, I count backwards to find the 
latest moment I can leave in order to be at my 
destination punctually. Occasionally I try to factor 
in a bit of fashionable lateness, but mostly in vain. 
Time in poetry, though, is a horse of a different colour. 
I wrote a poem while travelling in the Lake District 
with my family in 1981. The first two lines ran: 
We built a man of slates, and after years, revisited, the rock had grown a face.
I liked them, but I wasn’t really sure what they meant. Perhaps for that reason, what came next was less satisfactory – to me, and to others. The poem stayed with me, though, and fifteen or so years later I made a concerted attempt to complete it with some entirely new lines. And in that form it appeared in my first book, City of Strange Brunettes (1998), under the title “First Love.” But I didn’t entirely like that version either, so later on I had a go at changing the second stanza. Just now, in 2022, I had a look at the poem again and decided to change it back to the way it’d been in the book. Even as I read it, though, I can still hear the original 1981 version of the last four lines going round and round in my head. My point is not so much that the poem is still alive for me, after forty-odd years (though it is); rather, the thing that fascinates me is the number of different moments over those four decades that are somehow miraculously preserved in this one six-line poem. Writing a poem is the closest thing I’ve ever experienced to that Proustian idea of recovering lost time – not just as it was, but with the added patina of what has come in between then and now. It’s a snapshot of a buried past, but with the advantage that the people in the picture are still able to live and breathe. Going back to old poems to rewrite and reshape them is not so much about improving them as asserting their ongoing vitality – and, I suppose, my own.


(27-28/4/22)

Publications:







The last country to be settled by humans
    with the possible exception of Easter Island
        we balance somewhat precariously here

very deep are the depths
    but when you dig
        you don’t find humans
     
after the first millennium or so
    we do have stars
        mind you
    
and the remains of an very old continent
    we like to call Zealandia
        Aotearoa
    
land of the long white cloud
     certainly has more glamour
        and must sound so fresh and new
    
to those with pyramids
      vitrified forts 
         and barrow mounds

when I visited Britain
    with my parents in ’81
        my father saw pa-sites everywhere

his eyes were conditioned to spot
    the kūmara patches
        and palisade pits 

of his native land


(11/9/22-2/2/24)







Lepidium Oleraceum (Scurvy Grass)


(for Bronwyn)
The other place I landed at was the north point of the Bay where I got as much Sellery and Scurvy grass as loaded the Boat – Captain James Cook (27/10/1769)
It’s quite a ways from Napier over the worst of roads but a trip to Tolaga Bay must have seemed something for kids who’d never been there on arrival at the campground Dad went out there may not be much but there is a pub hours later he came back with two velvet paintings he’d blued all their money on we stopped there a year or so ago on a road trip around East Cape the immense beach choked with driftwood the epic wooden pier there were organised walks we didn’t join in a lack of seabird habitats is blamed for the decline in this native plant the rich environments they need no longer plentiful enough


(6/2-22/7/21)

Publications:
  • Poetry Specials: 2008-2018. Papyri (28/12/2017)
  • Scurvy Grass. Poem by Jack Ross. Design by Bronwyn Lloyd. Auckland, 2022.
  • Mike Johnson: A Festschrift. Ed. Trevor Landers. Auckland: www.matatuhitaranaki.ac.nz, 2024)


Notes:
  • While visiting Tolaga Bay in New Zealand on his first voyage, Cook noted in his journal on 27 October 1769: "the other place I landed at was the north point of the Bay where I got as much Sellery and Scurvy grass as loaded the Boat." - P. J. Lange & D.A. Norton (1996). "To what New Zealand plant does the vernacular 'scurvy grass' refer?". New Zealand Journal of Botany. 34 (3): 417–420.







I read an article today
which claimed
the best way to address

the subject of climate change
was with humour
mock weather reports

detailing unsurvivable 
temperatures
best not to venture out midday

and nuanced story lines
including family values
and hope

because heaven forbid
we should stop
insulting people’s intelligence

with patronising lies
you’ve got to sugar-coat
the facts

with contexts
point out the benefits
of a wine industry

shifting polewards
Siberian muscatels
are flooding the market now

it’s not that I find the idea laughable
or even    necessarily 
wrong

and I understand that intense
fear is disabling
for any who can be made to feel it

but don’t panic
as a doctrine
only really works

when there’s nothing to panic about


(25/10/22-11/7/2023)






That writhing feeling
of extreme embarrassment
at contemplation

of past errors
what if we hadn’t done them?
but what if those other 

worthy things
we did as well
depended on them?

the only question then
is the ratio of self-loathing
to mild self-toleration

in any case
I remember advanced thinkers
among my set

at church
when I was a kid
explaining how God sees 

things instantaneously
like a wargamer 
above a sand-table

what we see as a set of choices 
on a forking road
He sees all at once

so to talk of changing the past
is scarcely practical
it’s always already happened

as I’ve said before


(17/9/22-7/2/24)

Publications:
  • Poetry Aotearoa Yearbook 2025: Breath [Issue #59]. Ed. Tracey Slaughter. ISBN 978-1-99-101697-3. Auckland: Massey University Press, 2025: 132-33.

Notes:
  • "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away" is the title of a short story by Stephen King, originally published in the January 29, 2001 issue of The New Yorker. It was also included in King's collection Everything's Eventual (2002).







A friend of mine
set up a camera
in the back of her car

and drove down the hill
to the beach and back
art film

scoffed her boyfriend
and yet
there was something

so strange in the way
it bucked and leapt
as it recorded 

the unchanging mountains
behind
with no hint of the wild sea in front

Walter Benjamin’s angel of history
does that
sweeps on

looking back
unable to help
as the rubble and graves pile up

they used to project it at rock concerts


(8/10/22-17/2/24)

Publications:







It’s called the Kimono shop
by those of us
who frequent it

a warehouse-sized emporium 
in Penrose
full 

of every Japanese 
garment and trinket imaginable
in long serried rows

some    the wedding kimono
for instance
are priced steeply

others $5 or less
I bought some old postcards
and a guide to Japan

from 1966    the date 
of some of those old
paperback novels I love to read

Kōbō Abe
Osamu Dazai 
Shūshako Endō

it felt like an out-of-body experience
getting there
a labyrinth of twists and turns

guided by our
Aussie-accented
cyborg street-guide voice

and then the dusty
perfumed smell of the kimono
where do they come from?

hand-sewn
each one unique
retrieved from dumps and skips

apparently
exotic ambassadors
spreading their own delight


(1/10/22-15/2/24)

Publications:







No
    is the straight answer
        but there’re any number of complex

in-and-outs
    concerning wormholes
        parallel universes

and tachyons
    when you talk to physicists
        about it

but then there’s the other kind
    the inner journey
        each of us shuttles up and down

our personal time-stream
    moment to moment
        so we beat on

boats against the current
    borne back ceaselessly
        into the past

this morning all the clocks 
    went back one hour
        I hardly noticed

having set my watch back last night
    woke at the usual time
         around 4.30

only to stare into the dark
    pick up a novel
        to shut up 

that insistent
    nagging voice
        till morning comes


(25/9/22-12/2/24)

Notes:
  • The quote in italics comes from the much-debated last lines of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby (1925):
    Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors’ eyes — a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby’s house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

    And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby’s wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

    Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further … And one fine morning —

    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.







They’d ordered pizza
I recall
which took quite some time to arrive

all the while I was calculating times
so long to walk across campus
so long to eat

when would we have to start off
so as not to miss kick-off?
eventually

I worked out
we’d have to leave
just before it arrived

it arrived
we bolted it down
none of the others

could not see what the issue was 
neither can I    now
but I got my way

with a slice or two inside us
we started off
to hear the nice Irish academic

I’d met a few days before
give his Bloomsday speech
on the meaning of Ulysses

in the modern world
the moment we got there
I thought what an ass

to come in the first place
let alone hurry 
our dinner for this

it isn’t that it was bad
just    who the hell cares?
what makes it an issue?

what is this weird clock
which goes off inside me
the closer I get 

to leaving time?
which makes me count backwards
from every appointment

is it madness? conditioning?
other people don’t have it
can be fashionably late

hours late sometimes
not me
I hope it’s not catching

but suspect that it is
it saps the enjoyment
one might otherwise feel

in an evening stroll
through a leafy campus
perhaps the real answer

is never to go out


(14/10/22-20/2/24)






When I was a kid at primary school
the teacher took us every other week

to observe the progress on a house 
being built nearby

foundations first
then joists    then cladding

at last one day the thing was finished
ready to receive its freight of folk 

now as I look out over the bay
I’m clocked by a huge crane labelled TEAK

as it hoists    lackadaisically
large pallets of brick

from the old parking lot
soon to be an apartment block

there’ve been months when it hasn’t moved at all
one wall went up    but then no more

what’s gone wrong? 
is it market volatility

or just a shortage of materials?
I sit here like a pharaoh 

watching his tomb inch up
in time    he hopes

for his ascension


(15/10/22-21/2/24)






I read a self-righteous
piece this morning
on why Putin must be stopped

otherwise    the author opines
we’re entering a period
where aggressive invasions

of other nation’s territory
on the flimsiest pretexts
can be allowed to succeed

I remember twenty years back
meeting some Aussies
who couldn’t repress their envy

of us New Zealanders
because our then Prime Minister
Helen Clark

hadn’t signed up 
for the invasion of Iraq
to root out all those weapons

of mass destruction
which turned out not to be there
or the Gulf of Tonkin

the undeclared war
on North Vietnam
the rollcall began to unspool

in my head
my ineffectual     
sentimental radicalism

through a lifetime of strife and pain
of course I agree about Putin
but please just for a moment

take a good look at yourself
stop editorialising
and name-calling

on the edge of the pit


(3/11/22-28/2/24)






I was stranded 
on a half-submerged campus

trying to get back to 
the dining hall

diverted endlessly
by sundry obstacles

this morning
the gardeners are coming 

with a couple of lemon trees
to top off two months

of frustrating work
    on the roof
    the scaffolding
    the outside paint    
    the rotten windows

Bronwyn was in a bus
that reversed into a canal

in her dream
the significance of water 

in these parts
is not exactly Freudian

the creek at the bottom of our garden
is undercutting its banks

and one day soon will flood 
as it did forty years ago


(21/10/22-5/7/23)






When we first moved in
ten years ago
strange things would happen

from time to time
a handful of change 
strewn over the floor

inside a locked room
the persistent sense
when down in the basement

that the voices and creaks
heard overhead
don’t sound like subsidence

especially when you know
that nobody’s home
but I did grow up here

and eventually it began 
to tone down again
now

repainted in art deco colours
rose and green and red
the house seems to be 

waking up again
after sixty years of white
we get cries of approval

over the front fence
while critics go by
with their faces averted

the old doc would turn in his grave
well    take it from me
he hasn’t

The new doc    me
feels closer to him 
than anyone

would he approve of the change?
not really    no
would he like to see 

those peeling window-frames
and plaster walls
brought back from the brink?

undoubtedly    yes


(3/10/22-16/2/24)






You become a bit of a weather 
prophet round here whether 
you like it or not

sniffing the air each morning
noting the clouds
ignoring the complex maps

so glibly expounded
by perky clothes-horses
on the news

bearing in mind
what a wise old Aucklander
said to me once

it mostly stays the same for a week
one week of rain
one week of shine

that scent of drizzle
is decisive
it’ll turn to driving rain

is the same true of emotional weather?
those complex calculations of tone
was that remark really barbed?

is the fact that my last email 
didn’t get a response
significant

or are things trucking on
as ever
after twenty-odd years?


(17/10/22-22/2/24)






How many Princess Di’s 
    have died for us
        on screen?

Elizabeth Debicki 
    Kristen Stewart 
        Naomi Watts

and then there are 
    the tell-all documentaries
        with the survivors 

posed against old clips
    of their younger
        cooler selves

the more you see
    the less you feel
        you’re hearing the real story

recalling family events
    or arguments
        one’s forced to acknowledge

how much of it depends 
    on point-of-view
        a certain tone of voice

a contemptuous grunt
    how little was ever
        actually said

by 
    or to
        the dead


(4/12/22-8/3/24)






The last time I read at Poetry Live
I was walking away from the venue
when one of the others accosted me

What makes you famous?
I’m just as good as you
Why don’t they feature me instead?

he’d read out some poems
in a faux-Scottish accent
I’m not quite sure why

but then 
even R. A. K. Mason 
was given to ventriloquising in Scots

sometimes    go figure
what do you mean famous?
can’t you see I’m a complete nobody?you’ve published books
yeah    but nobody reads them 
or buys them either

nobody’s ‘famous’
if you want to be well-known
try getting your face on TV

poetry’s not about thatwhy do it then?
good question

but if you have to ask it 
you’d probably 
better give up

anyway


(14/9/22-3/2/24)

Notes:
  • 10 Oct 2022:
    Dear Maddy,

    I should probably be honest and admit that I have the fear where Poetry Live is concerned. The last time I read there I was accosted by a strange man with a faux Scottish accent who demanded to know why I thought I was 'so famous' and who pursued me down the street after the reading. The previous time was a bit challenging also. I agreed to the reading this time because I'd told myself I was over all that, but it seems I'm not. So, while there are some family events coming up, the truth of the matter is that my new resolution is to evade known sources of tension rather than the more orthodox 'facing your fears'. I hope that makes sense. So, no, it's probably best to take me off the list of potential readers. I do apologise for wasting your time in this manner, but I was sincere in thinking I could do it this time. I'm sure some more robust reader can easily be found, however.
    best, jack







The last days of twitter
the last days of détente
like Cai Guo-Qiang’s

sky ladder
a seven-year-old doco
we watched last night

as an apocalyptic rainstorm
lashed the house
that sense of let-down

as he achieved his 21-year goal
of lifting mankind to the heavens
for the benefit of

his 100-year-old grannie
too ill to be there
who died a month later

and his dear old dad
a calligrapher
and book-collector

I helped him burn his books
during the cultural revolution
said Cai

it took three days and nights
and yet in retrospect
a time of hope

submerged in our darker
out-of-season
hundred-year storms

the reign of Xi
the reign of Putin
the reign of Trump

trying to pull off
that Grover Cleveland trick
one more dive

at the greasy pig


(20/11/22-4/3/24)






atque in perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale


Sometimes you wake up with The Fear
rain pelting down outside
thunderclaps provoking

cat shenanigans
what Simon called
free-floating anxiety

does deconstruction help?
I’m told that speaking through
the words

of other people’s poems 
can help you make your own
ten years ago 

I might have thought the same
my remedy now
is hanging on

all dressed and shod 
and ready for the day

I wait for what will happen anyway


(12/9/22-28/5/23)

Publications:

Notes:

  • C. Valerius Catullus, Carmina 101:
    Multas per gentes et multa per aequora vectus
    advenio has miseras, frater, ad inferias,
    ut te postremo donarem munere mortis
    et mutam nequiquam adloquerer cinerem,
    quandoquidem fortuna mihi tete abstulit ipsum,
    heu miser indigne frater adempte mihi.
    nunc tamen interea haec, prisco quae more parentum
    tradita sunt tristi munere ad inferias,
    accipe fraterno multum manantia fletu
    atque in perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale.


    [Through many nations and through many seas borne, I come, brother, for these sad funeral rites, that I may give the last gifts to the dead, and may vainly speak to your silent ashes, since fortune has taken yourself away from me. Ah, poor brother, undeservedly snatched from me. But now receive these gifts, which have been handed down in the ancient manner of ancestors, the sad gifts to the grave, drenched with a brother's tears, and for ever, brother, hail and farewell.]
    - Leonard C. Smithers, trans. The Carmina of Gaius Valerius Catullus (London: Smithers, 1894): 285.








When I was at school, my friends and I used to 
have long philosophical arguments about whether or 
not it was possible to have a thought which wasn’t 
initially in words. I was a strong believer in the 
contention that a thought could precede the words 
which expressed it: that it often had to be translated 
– imperfectly – into words, after being conceived 
in musical or architectural or simply relational 
terms. Of course I couldn’t prove it, as our 
discussions were conducted entirely in words. We 
were also very concerned about the status of 
mathematics. Was it really a language? Did its axioms 
constitute words, or were they somehow superior to those 
slippery entities (as the budding scientists among us 
tended to argue)? Now that I’m older, my trust in words 
has not grown greater – but I think I love them more. 
In fact, “words are windows” was the first phrase that 
came to mind for this paragraph, until I realised it 
lacked a “no” and a “but”. Words are windows. They show 
us things. But they don’t do so clearly. And when you 
read – as I did in the online news today – that in 
Russia now you can “speculate freely and quite calmly 
on the prospects of nuclear war,” I’m again terrified 
at what treacherous little disease-laden free radicals 
words can be. I’d like to set against that a quote from 
Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms: “I was always 
embarrassed by the words sacred, glorious, and sacrifice 
and the expression in vain … There were many words that 
you could not stand to hear and finally only the names 
of places had dignity.” That is to say, choose your 
words wisely, or they may blow up in your face.


(24-25/5/22)

Publications:







asked a fellow-guest
at my colleague’s flat
all those years ago

no doubt meant
as a polite
(albeit perfunctory) question

but I was rather sick 
of that routine
have you published anything?

yes
would you like a list?
would I have heard of you?

well    that depends
just how familiar are you 
with the alt-poetry scene?

this time I chose
to take it seriously
trying to come up 

with reasons
for staying alive
in my defence

I was in a pretty dark place
at the time
but even so

I knew how pompous
it sounded
the fact 

that it happened to be true
is neither here nor there
and the bad manners

inherent in my answer
more apparent 
than in the facile

and probably 
not ill-meant question
don’t ask 

if you don’t want to know
is still a good maxim
though    so it’s hard to regret it

Why do I write now?
I guess it’s a habit
it makes me feel better

and sometimes
I permit myself to hope
it might do someone else

some good as well


(2/11/22-28/2/24)






so we’re told
is the word of the year
when it comes to online searches

next comes oligarch
omicron
cancel culture

and    rather oddly
sentient
no doubt inspired

by the software engineer 
who claimed
his AI system

had developed independent thought
if only!
it’s hard to imagine it doing a worse job

than we do
with our god-given intellect
a little lower than the angels

but then my own choices of word
furry
or Bronwyn

were never likely to go global
but for emotion
and intelligence

they beat the others flat 


(29/11/22-5/7/23)






Usually when I’m in a bookshop
    I can reach up and ease out books 
       from even the highest shelve

after all    I’m six feet tall
    in Hard-to-Find though
        the shelves reach up to heaven

ecclesiastical ceilings
    so I couldn’t quite manage
        the B’s in Biography

there was some kind of step ladder
    over in the corner
        but the small wooden stool was nearer

so I moved it into place
    and reached up to the Brontës
        then the stool shifted

two of its three legs 
    were somewhat misaligned
        and threatened to topple

I managed to readjust 
    – no twisted ankle
        or embarrassing fall backwards

into the graphic novels –
    and it did have the side effect
        of showing me a biography

of J. G. Ballard 
     I hadn’t known existed
        after I’d climbed down 

and bought my books
    and left the shop
        I started to wonder
    
what chain reaction I’d begun
    would others climb up
        on that temptingly placed stool?
     
would they have the same luck
    in correcting its wobble?
        might not some sprain

or broken bone ensue?
    and if so would it be my fault
        or that of the stool’s creator

or the shop owner’s for leaving it there
    or for piling their stock so high
        or Juliet Barker’s for writing such a big fat book

on the Brontës
    or J. G. Ballard’s for his explorations
        of the fetishistic significance

of any crash?


(26/11/22-5/3/24)







in a charity shop
preferably one that doesn’t sell books

so David Howard when he heard
I’d finished all 66 novels by Stephen King

like so many authors
he underestimates the need for actual readers

to validate your product
as the discussion proceeded

he revealed that he seldom read fiction
(except Joseph Conrad)

because of his inability
to identify    let alone empathise    

with imaginary people
biographies and histories were more his bag

which makes sense
unless you acknowledge

a biography is just a version of a life
I’ve read three biographies of Thomas De Quincey

two were entitled ‘the opium eater’
I’d swear they concerned

quite different people
as for Dickens    don’t get me started

Forster     Johnson     Ackroyd    Tomalin     Slater
Oh sure    they overlap

but only in the sense
that novels with similar plots and characters overlap

David Copperfield and Great Expectations
Bag of Bones and Duma Key

the hazy reality we’re forced to live in 
dissolves into endless jumpcuts

do you have to film everything?
asked Warren Beatty 

as he realised belatedly
that going out with Madonna

meant guest-starring in In Bed with Madonna


(28/10/22-26/2/24)






Someone said studying Shakespeare
was a relic of the colonial past
in a Creative New Zealand report

on funding a new employee
for a Shakespeare-in-schools project
the world erupted in scorn

columnists fulminated
cancel culture
blackwashing the bard

and so on   
meanwhile
in the eye of the storm

the CNZ communications team
were kept up till midnight
explaining the simple facts of the case

to outlets who love to say
CNZ refused comment
or we hadn’t heard back 

before going to press
eventually the PM decided
just to give them the cash

surely it is rather odd
that in New Zealand
half a world away

the works of this playwright
should be seen to outweigh
all other cultural input

no Dante    
no Genji    
no Homer    can compare

but then    as he 
(whoever he was)
once said 

(or rather
as one of his characters said)
it is a tale

told by an idiot
full of sound and fury
signifying nothing


(22/10/22-24/2/24)






Were all in evidence
this afternoon
as I spoke to my friend’s class

about my lack of imagination
how I envy those people
who can make stuff up 

and make it sound convincing
not me
events from my life

rearranged slightly 
is the best that I can do
which came in quite handy

when it turned out that 
– as well as my images –
my PowerPoint notes 

had been visible
to the online audience
all along

they included some quotes
from emails I’d been sent
about the students

the news reached my friend
as she was about to back out
from a tight parking place

which made her pause
just long enough
to crash into me

as I drove past
no damage to either of us
luckily

since cars are basically plastic shells
and they were only going 3 km per hour
but a nasty shock nevertheless

which took us a few rounds of
tapas to drown
as we looked out over

the Waikato in flood
past a bearded portrait
of someone who may well have been

Te Kooti Arikirangi Te Tūruki


(5/10/22-16/2/24)






that thing from Chekhov
about how the pistol in a story
must be fired

in my first-year writing lectures 
– by which he meant
that anything you single out

for mention
must have some function 
in the plot

what can a gun do but shoot?
until one student
hearing this

saw red
and stormed up to the secretary’s office
to beard me in my den

unfortunately I wasn’t there
probably having lunch
so he had to content 

himself with ranting
about what a lie it was
how many things could be done with a pistol

and how I should be shot
after that    strangely
we made friends

or sort of
he was a fan of Lord Byron
and used to drop by my office

for a loud harangue
leaning in from the corridor
which irritated my colleagues

especially as he used to shout
you can’t really tell me
you mark them the same as us

them meaning Asian students
I just don’t believe it
in what passed for a confiding tone

it was in vain to protest
how excellent was the grammar
of language-school trained students

how divergent and fascinating 
the ideas of students
from different cultural backgrounds

eventually he changed his name
and left town
for undisclosed reasons

only to emerge
a few years later
as one of our Masters students

until he flamed out
the pistol
in a story

must be fired


(16/11/22-11/7/2023)






Don’t share your thoughts
or stories
about your own experience

said the self-help guru
about listening
not talking at your friends

guilty!
and yet I’d say I was acting
on an earlier theory

that discourse hereabouts
was based exclusively
on anecdote

in Kendrick Smithyman’s poetry
for instance
stories are told

whose meaning is obscure
and yet    
when broken down

turns out to bear rich fruit
a culture of laconic
non-feeling-sharing men

when I lamented the loss
of some of his weirder tales
to his wife Margaret

look through the poems
they’re all there
was her reply

not everything is an anecdote
Steve Martin shouts
at John Candy

in Planes Trains and Automobiles
mind you
when you can see your interlocutor

reading the sickbag
it should give you a hint
that something’s wrong


(20/10/22-23/2/24)






Yesterday I left the hot tap running
on the cat’s plate
and the light on in the storeroom

before going up for my nap
I’ve got too many dementia
sufferers in my life already

said Bronwyn
better get it together
or I’m putting you out to grass

fair enough
it’s not that I haven’t noticed
in my last semester teaching

I found I couldn’t improvise
so readily
the names and quotes

wouldn’t come
the way they used to
and now half the people I meet

disappear from my mind
the moment they turn around
their names especially

but I do have my methods
reciting the Kings and Queens 
of England

first off
then the American presidents
in order

any gaps can be filled in
next day
so far anyway


(31/10/22-8/5/23)






In my dream I was talking
to a group of students
about the genesis

of Poetry NZ
back in the day
in Palmerston North

I asked them to write me 
a haiku 
– making sure that they knew

what that was –
then collected all their emails
for next time

so loud was the din
of the next class
invading

I could hardly hear myself think
let alone make out 
the crabbed scrawl

on the notes they gave me
I suppose it’s a reaction
to hearing of Bronwyn’s workmate

who
when told we were going to see Emily
asked 

who’s Emily Brontë?
have I started teaching again
in my dreams?

a relief then to be woken 
by clattering dishes
this morning

the old life done


(22/11/22-12/7/2023)

Publications:







that was the phrase they used 
for my father 
after his stroke 

he’d tear up 
at the slightest mention 
of wartime sacrifice 

or heroic deeds
it improved him
said my mother 

he’d been too buttoned up 
stiff upper lip 
as he counselled patients 

in their darkest hour 
but now it’s me 
I just have to hear 

Churchill’s gravelly voice 
or a burst 
of patriotic music 

and I’m awash
embarrassing    yes
but if you can’t cry sometimes 

what good are you?


(13/10/22-4/1/23)

Publications:
  • Stormy Weather. Live Encounters Aotearoa New Zealand Poets & Writers Special Edition. Guest Ed. Lincoln Jaques. Live Encounters: Free Online Magazine from Planet Earth. Ed. Mark Ulyseas (April 2023).







A woman was whinging
about how only two people
turned up to her book-signing

though forty said they were coming
on the online invite
this sparked off a chorus of

you think that’s bad?
what about this?
from the likes of Neil Gaiman

Jodi Picoult
Margaret Atwood
and other celebs

Atwood said that not only
did nobody come
but the one person

who did approach her
wanted to buy scotch tape
it got me to thinking

about my own slew
of embarrassing events
readings where the readers 

outnumbered the audience
launches where nobody bought the book
and the person giving the launch speech

admitted to not having read it
but still recommended we get it
‘because it’s an important book’

so why do you do it?
asked Bronwyn
– Sigmund Freud had

some useful theories
I said
but at least the writing must be fun?

not really I replied
the agony of getting it down
then working through it all

again and again
the fear of falling short
of being laughed at

then why?
to be honest I don’t really know
I’m just glad that some people do

where would I be without the books they write?


(7/12/22-5/7/23)






His fiction is uncompromisingly 
experimental
his book Ghost Stories

may well be his most accessible
I was a bit disconcerted 
to find that

‘uncompromisingly experimental’
line in my publisher’s write-up 
on Facebook

tired of airport books? 
bored by Tom Clancy and Dan Brown? 
wearied by puerile web sites? 

seeking a challenge? try a “novel” 
by Dr Jack Ross
said Michael Morrissey

a few years further back 
à propos of
The Imaginary Museum of Atlantis

it’s hard to remember
why I felt it so necessary
to print half the pages upside down

it certainly caused pain
to the printers
who had to redo the whole first run

I suppose it was just
that the first time I picked up 
a book 

with half its pages
in Farsi
hand-drawn dream maps

and diagrams of the compound
where the ‘action’ 
was feigned to take place

it gave me a kick
like I just can’t describe
after that 

texts within texts
print windows 
surrounded by pictures

concrete poems imbedded 
like plums
in Jack Horner’s pie

were all that attracted me
but passion dies
and the puritan fervour falls away

till you find yourself
left-siding everything
because you’re so much more interested

in what you’re saying
than how to say it
and the need for such scaffolding

seems lost like left luggage
in an old train station
where the ghosts of ambition

have gone to rest


(9/12/22-8/2/24)

Publications:







I really don’t care
    do u?
        the horrible thing is

when I hear such heresies
     I can understand why 
        somebody said it

so much futile energy
    applied to quite possibly
        insoluble problems

does get wearing
    hence
        at that drunken dinner-party

where our hostess revealed
    she supported Kim Dotcom’s
        internet party

because he had a big pool
    and she hoped to be invited
        to swim in it

I could see the pointlessness
    of argument
        still    every time 

I turn on the tele
    to see some monstrous gas-guzzler
        busting its way 

through fragile streams
    up sand-dunes
        frangible gullies

join the ranger lifestyle
    live life large
        that sick feeling of indignation

at pricks who smash shit
    for the sake of it
        comes back to the surface again

so yes    I’ll sign your petition
    but unless you grew up loving trees
        poking through rockpools

(now picked clean)
    trying not to step into
        other poor creatures’ business

it’s hard to feel much hope


(4/11/22-29/2/24)






to read her a poem
last thing last night
it’s our new thing

ghost stories or poems
rather than stupefying ourselves
with one more sit-com

it was a bit of a risk
but I tried her on Wordsworth’s 
‘We are Seven’

The little Maid would have her will
and said
“Nay, we are seven!”

after a bit of discussion
about the poet’s somewhat
peremptory manner

in quizzing the girl
and the general sentimentality
her verdict was

what a ponce
I have to admit
she has a point

there is something repellent there
beneath the saccharine
and yet

that’s how I used to think myself
until I switched off the 
critic-o-meter

one weekend
when I read
an old collected poems

arranged by date
you just have to give them time
stop looking for obvious beauties

and open your heart instead


(25/11/22-5/7/23)






Seeing Zero by her plate today
sitting as close as she physically could
her head flung up appealingly

was of course irresistible
but reminded me sharply
of another cat

in the same kitchen
twenty-five years ago
Poupousse

named for yet another cat
who knocked over a vase
deliberately

to spite an intruder
(my mother-in-law)
while her human was out of the room

our Poupousse was a greedy cat
or rather she took a simple joy
in a plate of food

that look of sublime satisfaction
as she tucked in 
was really something to see

and the constant peevish attempts
to interrupt her 
by head boy cat Ilya

were impatiently swatted away
her earlier identity had been as Mitzi
living over the fence

with a young family
of importunate children
so she peddled her papers elsewhere

we knocked on doors
up and down the street
to find out where she came from

but it never occurred to us
to try one street over
till one of the family

walking by    
years later
spotted her lying in our front yard

double identities
pulling up stakes
and shifting to richer ground

are second nature to our furry friends
we call such people 
grifters    tricksters    identity thieves

perhaps we should just call them cats?


(6/12/22-27/5/23)

Publications:







All you have to learn
is how to be alone 

my Dad wrote Admit nothing 
in his diary

in the rest home
I used to duck inside 

the library at school
to foil the wolfpacks

go undercover
if your earbuds

secretly connect
to nothing

broadcasting silence
smile    disguise it 

with a whistle
eventually you’ll find

the one who shows
the sign you need

received and understood


(27-28/10/20)

Publications:
  • Singlets, Briefs & Shorts: An Anthology of Poems from the Show Me Shorts! New Zealand Short Film Festival 2020. Ed. Trevor M. Landers. PMT Press in association with 99% Press. Auckland: Lasavia Publishing Ltd., 2021. 88-89.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.